Ah…winter. The time for cozy fires, snuggly sweaters, cute hats and scarves, hot cocoa, and building snowmen.
Except I live in Georgia.
For those of you who actually have what is dubbed a “real” winter – steady temps that are consistently cold, snow, the need to bundle up every day – Georgia does not have a traditional winter. Georgia cannot make up its mind as to what season it is, and this changes daily. For example, 2 days ago I was sweating in a t-shirt and blue jeans with my hair pulled back. Today, I’m in wool socks, a sweater over a long-sleeved shirt, and the only way I’m pulling my hair off of my neck is if I’m replacing it with a scarf. Yeah. Welcome to Georgia.
But aside from the insane temperature differences and the ability to go through all 4 seasons and every possible weather pattern in the course of a week, we too have winter buckets lists. Feel free to swipe my list, add to it, take away from it…and if you have a fantastic idea of something you love to do, please add it to the comments below!
Note: Ones with a
stike-through have already been done…and December just started!
Out and About
- Go ice skating
- Drive around or talk a walk and look at Christmas lights
- Go on a toy run – hubby is a biker, so this is a big one on my bucket list
- Donate food and/or toys to a local charity – this is a hard time of year for a lot of people; be kind
- Join the fun for a New Year’s Eve party – or host one of your own!
- Take a photo with Santa – I don’t know about you, but I am certainly never too old to do this!
- Make homemade eggnog – alcoholic or non…
- Make homemade apple cider
- Make paper snowflakes (this is a lot of fun for a date night!)
- Make neighbor gifts – my neighbors love baked goods!
- Build a gingerbread house – whether it’s in a kit or you actually bake the gingerbread, this can be a lot of fun! I have a kitten experiencing her first Christmas this year, so I won’t be doing this one, but I just can’t take it off my list!
Learn to sew or crochet and make one thing for everyone on your Christmas list
- Bake cookies
- Make cinnamon ornaments
- Make your own snowglobe
At Home Sweet Home
Decorate the Christmas tree
- Drink hot cocoa – don’t forget the marshmallows!
- Watch Christmas movies – Santa Claus is Coming to Town and A Christmas Story are my personal favorites!
- Write Christmas cards (and mail them out)
- Eat a candy cane
- Get a kiss under the mistletoe
Cuddle in front of a fire– we have a real fireplace this year, but last year we hooked up the computer to the TV and found a looped youtube video of a roaring fire! Listen to Christmas music
- Take Christmas pictures
- Host an ornament or cookie exchange
- Wrap Christmas presents